If you’re shopping around for a new credit card, rewards points are something to take into consideration. Rewards points generally come into categories: cash back points and travel rewards. Which rewards system is better for you largely depends on your lifestyle. If you were frequent flyer or busy traveler, then you’re going to want to take a closer look at cards that reward you with travel miles. If you’re looking for a cash back incentive, then a card with reward points might be a better fit for you. Let’s take a look at some of the best cards in each category.
Best Overall Credit Card Reward Programs
If you are strictly interested in cash back rewards, here are the top rated credit cards in that category:
- Citi Double Cash Card- If you value cash back above any other rewards, this may be the card for you. You not only get 1% cash back on purchases, but you also get an additional 1% cashback when you pay them off. With no annual fee, and 0% interest on balance transfers for 18 months. There are no limits to the amount of points you can earn. There are no categories to track, making the Citi Double Cash Card super user friendly.
- Capital One Quicksilver Cash Reward- With no annual fee and 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, the Quicksilver card is another top contender. This card offer is 1.5% cashback on everything and rewards points can be redeemed at any time, for any amount. It also offers a $150 one time cash bonus to qualifying customers for opening an account.
- Discover it Cash Back Card- If you don’t mind tracking categories, this card offers top rewards in bonus categories. Card holders can earn a whopping 5% cashback in categories such as restaurants, gas stations, and grocery stores. Bonus categories change every quarter, and the 5% is capped at $1500. This card offers no annual fee and 0% on balance transfers and purchases for 14 months. The sign up bonus is a great perk: Discover will match all cash back earned for the first year automatically.
Best Travel Rewards Cards
If travel is more your style, there are several top picks for highly rated travel reward credit cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card - The annual fee of $95 is waived for the first year. You earn 2 points on travel and dining and 1% on everything else. This card rates high for flexibility and ease of redeeming rewards. Points are worth $1.25 when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards. There is a very attractive sign up bonus: You will earn the equivalent of $625 towards travel after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after joining the program.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card - This card also waives the annual $95 fee for the first year. If you are a frequent user of Hotels.com, this may be the card you have been looking for. You can earn a huge $10 per mile with this card at Hotels.com. Add that to 2 miles earned on every dollar spent on all purchases, and you can wrack up some serious miles. There is no minimum amount required to redeem your travel points.
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus - This card consistently rates as one of the best hotel rewards cards out there. The $95 annual fee will quickly be recovered as you earn free overnight stays at Starwood and Marriott hotels. You get 2 points on every dollar spent plus a generous 6 points per dollar earned at Marriott and Starwood hotels. You also receive a free night stay at on of their qualifying hotels every year.